Thursday, January 19, 2006

A Religious Enigma

How many Lutherans does it take to change a light bulb?...
What do you mean change!
Every religion has their own joke but in my church this is a reality. My church is failing. The average age there is well beyond 65 and there approximately 40 people who still attend regularly in a sactuary that fits well over 500. I joined a few years ago in hopes to help it improve but now I am torn between my stubborness to stay with my original goal and help make this place into what it could be or to leave and find a place where it won't be so hard to belong and find spiritual fufillment. My pastor called me in for a meeting a few weeks ago and was pleading with me to stick it out. I couldn't tell him I would. My problem is that I've been sticking it out for three years and all of my attempts to bring people in have failed. I'm tired of being a cheerleader and frusterated with the guilt that I could have done more.
This brings me to a question, are churches a thing of the past? Many churches are having simliar issues. They don't serve the purpose they once did (i.e. being the social center of an area for news and whatnot). Most of the ones built today resemble stadiums and event centers. I cannot disagree with the mentality that churches are a place to go on Sunday to put your time in, if there is some entertainment, all the better. There is a shortage out there of charismatic pastors and church leaders - people you want to hear talk, there is the unwillingness of people to change with the times, and there are plenty of judgement by most regardless of what you do. For me, I have had more "spiritual expiriences" outside of the church walls than inside. Is this just my age talking here or do other people agree?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.unclebubby.com/wav/wav/TOONS/BeavisButthead/CHANGE.WAV

Anonymous said...

Just thought we'd get Beavis to weigh in.

Anonymous said...

Church is a place to worship God as it says to in the Bible. I know it's hard to get people to come to church...I have a hard time with that too. Just compare your church with the Bible....make sure it is following what the Bible says. If it is, stay there, and if it is not...go somewhere else that does do what the Bible says.

Links