Tuesday, August 16, 2005

A Roman Holiday

I had my wisdom teeth out over the weekend, so instead of dwelling on serious world issues or social problems, the vicadin I was on resulted in me being extremely sleepy and in a coma like state. When I was lucid I did manager to catch a few movies so I thought I would review one of them.

I saw the movie "Roman Holiday" staring Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. This was not my first time watching it but it had been quite a few years. I visited Rome and even though this movie was shot back in 1953 and is in black and white, it is evident why Rome is called the "eternal city". Not much has changed and it is still an amazing part of the world. One scene takes place on the Spanish Steps and I started laughing to myself because I can remember running up them with my friends while clenching to my cone of gelato trying not to lose it.

As for the movie now, well it is no doubt a classic. I forgot how funny it could be and loved the amusing chemistry between Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. Peck has always been a favorite. He floats so naturally from scene to scene and is a treat to watch. His performance in "To Kill A Mocking Bird" is arguably his best ever performance and you should definitely check it out. Hepburn's naive princess is good opposite Peck's solid practicallity. As these two draw the plot along you forget about the likelyhood of the events actually happening. The ending is also moving and honest.

Rent it, you'll love it...this is not the drugs talking!

No comments:

Links