Thursday, August 11, 2005

A Rock 'N Roll Doubleheader

Last night I attended the Rock 'N Roll Doubleheader at Olds Stadium in Lansing, Michigan and am pleased to report that nostalgic pop-rock is relevant 25 years later. As Joe Elliot yelled into the microphone at the end of the concert, "Don't forget us, because we haven't forgotten about you!", it was evident that there was no love lost over the years for hair metal and sweeping rock ballads. Both Def Leppard and Bryan Adams made their debuts in 1980 and have shown that they can still turn in very energetic performances.

Besides the great music, it was a great opportunity for people watching as my friends and I weaved our way closer to the stage. Trends which I long thought extinct were present including cheesy dragon tattoos, acid washed jeans, and stringy, over hairsprayed hair. One of the funniest parts of the evening was when I looked over to see this guy with a pierced ear, long pontytail, and sleeveless black shirt inching closer and trying to make a move on my friend Jessie during the romantic Bryan Adam's tune "Heaven". No doubt he was going to impress her with his vast expiriences of being a roadie for the band. Much to his dismay though, while Jessie is a beautiful girl and does share an affection for 80s music and Keith Scott's killer guitar playing, her interests extend beyond 1989.

It was a pleasant summer evening as Bryan Adam took the stage. My hands were in the air as I sway with the masses to his most famous song "(Everything I Do) I Do it for You" and he led us in belting out the na-na's in "Cuts Like a Knife". As he played his all too familiar rock anthem "Summer of 69" amid the droves of fans singing and chanting the lyrics, you couldn't help but wonder where you put your Bryan Adams CD in 1995 and anticipate digging it out when you got home for another listen!

Def Leppard's set was complets with a colorful light show, heavy riffs and soaring harmonies. It was everything you could wish for from a 80s hair metal band. Phil Collen and Vin Campbell had their work cut out for them especially with the number of wanna-be's in the audience doing air guitar and outragious moves. During my favorite "Love Bites", one guy close to us got so into it that I almost fell over laughing. It was less than awesome and bordering on hysterically ridiculous. Def Leppard capped off the evening on a high with "Pour Some Sugar on Me", which I'm not saying just because there was plenty of second hand smoke there to be inhaled. It was awesome!

My voice is now gone but in my head I still sing:
I don't want to touch you too much baby
cause making love to you might drive me crazy
I know you think that love is the way you make it
But I don't want to be there when you decide to break it
No
Love Bites love bleeds
its bringin me to my knees
love lives love dies
its no suprise
love begs love pleads
its what I need

1 comment:

Mrs. Ca said...

Great recap! Glad you had such a great time, as did I. My recap is over on my blog. Hope you enjoy and I'll see you in a few hours!

Links