Monday, January 22, 2007

If You Can Read This You Do Not Need a New Monitor

It is the end of days....

I just spent hours on the phone with tech support in India to verify that my screen has burned out. Unfortunately the powers that be won’t just take my word for it and ran me through various troubleshoot exercises in between half an hour breaks of holding so that I could enjoy some easy listening music. I since have attached an external monitor so that I am able to check in and blow off some steam.

To add a twist of irony, the main printer is jammed up and awaiting repair while the office manager cleverly spilled his latte down the motherboard while figuring out how to plug in a new speaker in his computer. The lights also went out momentarily because of something to do with the weather. Brilliant. Now people are rushing around trying to answer this single question posed to themselves, How can I cope with this? In the financial world, where I live, this series of set backs is an equivalent to the arrival of the four horsemen of the appocalpse. My boss is in his office pouting, the secretary is telling stories from the old days of non-dependency on technology and our office manager is curled up under his desk in the fetal position wishing today never happened.

I am reminded of the Terminator movies where the machines rise up against humans. For what small problems we have going on in this office today and the attitude around here, you would think that the next time you walk by the fax machine it might in fact try to eat you.

For now, all we can do is cling to hope and wait on DJ our techie who is our lone guardian on the frontier of the machine up rising.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

Links