Monday, July 10, 2006

A Failure to Communicate....

Our telephone, email, and fax are out again at work. To say that negativity would describe the office climate presently would be an understatement considering I heard talk in the hallway earlier that involved getting our clients to black list the companies involved. I’ve been hiding back in my office avoiding the whole mess, though I may have to step up soon. My boss’s face is an exceptionally darker shade of red now. The minute he starts clenching his arm I will have to get off the bench, though I doubt my co-workers will enjoy hearing how I would handle the situation.

Technology is a huge problem in our office. There is no clear entity to place blame between us (the user), the cable company and the telephone company. This is tricky because now we have to figure out who will fix it. Typically our office manager (who has a fuse shorter than the rest of us) goes directly on the offensive. He says it is being handled though I use the term “handled” lightly because he has been acting like a total ass to each company’s representative. Why? Because he thinks that by being irate and course he will be taken more seriously and solve this mess expediciously. He’s been on hold most of the day…no kidding! Who would want to deal with someone who uses these tactics in troubleshooting? As the hours pass he keeps getting madder and madder. Go figure on such simple logic as his.

Perhaps I will tactfully step in and take the reigns once our office manager goes to lunch. I think with as confused every party is in this mess, we need to give these guys the opportunity to step up and offer a solution since we haven’t been able to come up with one our selves, that would be more productive than spending another four hours deciding who caused it. We got a problem between us and though we are unclear how things got so messed up, can you help us fix it?

Why be so hard-nosed about simple situations? People will deal with you if you treat them with the respect and dignity in which you wish for in return. That’s called adult relationships aka good business relations. This is coming from the gal low on the totem pole (3 years working here) who is reacting to an office manager thirty years on the job. Hmmmmm……

No comments:

Links