Saturday, October 01, 2005

Tis' this Season not the next one!

Attention all people decorating for Christmas....It's October 1st! Shelf that stuff for another two months, you yule obsessed psychos. Same with all retail outlets and stores, why are you displaying your over-priced, cheesy ornaments and gaudy sweaters so early? Yeah, I know its a money thing. I hate this. Every year it gets worse. There is this movement out there to begin the Christmas season earlier and earlier every year. On my drive into Lansing this morning I passed a place that is notorious for over-decorating with lights and plastic santas and reindeer to boot. When I say over decorating, I'm equating that to Martha Stewart on speed times twenty. Way too much going on in that yard.

Have these people no repect for the season we are in. Fall is my favorite. The leaves change and then fall. You get the fun of dressing up for Halloween, bobbing for apples, jumping in leaf piles, and drinking apple cider. There's football tailgating on campus, color tours up north, picking apples, deer hunting season....I could go on and on. Now I don't understand how anyone in good conscience live in Michigan and not appreciate all that the fall has to offer.

Right now is the big build up to Thanksgiving...not Christmas. Now that I think about it isn't Thanksgiving a more virtuous holiday anyway? Christmas you over load on greed while the worst you can do on Thanksgiving is glutiny. To counter this arguement though Thanksgiving is a historical reference to the Europeans interaction with the Native Americans and the Eurpoeans annilation of a race with disease and trickery.....so yeah scratch that idea.

This enry is a plea to all fellow normal people. Boycott this early holiday stuff. Everything goes on sale after Thanksgiving anyway. As for the guy decorating today, we should get a group together and go steal his Rudolf off his sleigh display!!

7 comments:

Mrs. Ca said...

I never decorate for a holiday until I am in the month in which it falls. Although I do love Christmas and the accompanying decorations, I agree that fall in Michigan is too awesome to try to skip.

See you in a couple of days. I will fill you in on the concert if you get a free minute. (Oh - I changed my blog name. This is Jessie just in case you didn't pick up on that already.)

Anonymous said...

Christmas was nothing like its present form until the retail stores started driving it.

That makes Thanksgiving more genuine. You just can't fake Indian Genocide.

Unknown said...

Let us a write a song to express how we feel, loosly to the tune of Deck the Halls:

I'll write the first few verses. Feel free to add your own:

'Tis this season, not the next one!
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Enjoy the season, that you have,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Not the season, that you want,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Unknown said...

like the oompa loompa song!

Unknown said...

Check out my blog at:

http://jbhi.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS STUFF. KEEP UP THE GOOD WRITING.
DAD

Anonymous said...

I HOPE THIS GETS TO YOU -- THE BLOG SEEMS A LITTLE BLOGGED DOWN
.

Links